Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Daddy's Girl


My dad is a "man's man".
He was a collegiate athlete and loves sports.
He loves red meat and avoids shopping malls.
He got two daughters...
And my sister and I are the apple of his eye!
Growing up, he was the enforcer of rules and punishment,
and, yet, he would do anything for us.
He taught me how to swim and how to ride a bike,
sat through all 50 dances(although not painlessly) at our dance recitals
 only to see us dance 3 or 4 times.
When we were old enough to drive,
our oil was always changed
and our gas tanks were always full.
If ever we were out at night,
he was the one waiting up with the light on until we were safely home.
In true fashion, when I first mentioned the father/daughter dance to him,
his reaction was, (insert sarcastic eye roll)"I have to dance?"
My guess is the last time he dusted off the dancing shoes was for his own wedding...
but I knew he wouldn't miss this.
And I hadn't given it any more thought until a few days later,
I recieved a message from him telling me he had picked a song for our dance!
I hadn't asked him to,
and didn't expect him to.
In fact, I had been searching for songs myself,
but how special to have it be a song that he chose?
And he may never know how much it means to me,
but, after all, he IS the only other man I ever wanted to marry!


 

1 comment: